During operating hours, building access is available to GW students, faculty, and staff who have completed all of the steps outlined on GW's Onward website. No one will be allowed to sign in without a physical GWorld card or enter the library if their GWorld card tap is denied. Library access is not available for alumni or visitors. Masks are required inside all library buildings.
Visiting the Libraries
Welcome to the GW Libraries! The GW Libraries’ three DC-area buildings, as well as our general collections, are closed to the public. As the libraries of a private institution, we are obligated to focus our limited resources on our primary users, the students, faculty and staff of George Washington University.
Entrance to Gelman Library is available to GW students, faculty, and staff who have a physical GWorld card enabled for campus access.
During the Fall 2021 semester, alumni and visitor access to the library buildings is only available for:
- Users of specialized collections with an appointment* (including the Special Collections Research Center and Global Resources Center),
- Senior students/staff of the School Without Walls, and
- Attendees of scheduled events*.
*Specialized collections users and event attendees must be escorted at all times.
All visitors must complete the visitor access registration form no more than 72 hours prior to your intended visit.
Getting to Library Buildings
- Getting to Gelman Library
- Getting to Eckles Library
- Getting to Virginia Science and Technology Library
Navigating Gelman Library
Additional Information for Visitors
- Upcoming events
- Accessing library computers, printing, and wifi
- Accessing specialized collections and government documents