Building access is available to GW students, faculty, and staff who have completed all of the steps outlined on GW's Onward website. No one will be allowed to sign in without a physical GWorld card or enter the library if their GWorld card tap is denied. Library access is not available for alumni or visitors. Masks are required inside all library buildings.
Information for Off-Campus Students
The GW Libraries provide resources and services to off-campus students to meet you where you are! We're committed to filling your library and research needs, even when you physically can’t come to us.
- Get Help
- Find Articles, Books, and Other Materials
- Borrow and Return Physical Books
- Connect Remotely to Specialized Software
- Visit the Libraries
Ask Us staff provide quick assistance for basic library questions via phone, chat, and WebEx. Make an appointment for an in-depth remote research consultation with a librarian or for help with statistics, coding, and data.
Library Tutorials (“How Do I?”) give online step-by-step instructions for searching library resources, getting materials, and constructing your research topic. Research Guides created by GW librarians point you in the right direction for your specific topic.
Begin your research at the GW Libraries website for access to millions of books and thousands of journals, databases and other materials. We recommend that off-campus users connect to the GW VPN before starting library research to avoid multiple login prompts.
- Search for books, e-books, media, and articles in our online library catalog to discover and request items at GW and our local Consortium library partners.
- Browse our Research Databases arranged by subject area.
- Learn more about finding e-books via the GW Libraries.
- Find specific journals, newspapers and magazines by title, or browse the list of journal titles under broad subject areas.
- Connect Google Scholar to your GW credentials to enable more full-text discovery.
- Use our Interlibrary Loan service (ILL) to request books, articles, book chapters and more that are not available in our library databases. Our staff will search for you across our national and international lending network.
- Browse digitized GW publications, manuscripts and themed collections from our University archives.
Borrow Print Books
Most library materials that aren't available online can be borrowed. A book retrieval and pickup service is available at both the Gelman and VSTC Libraries. If you cannot come to campus, you may request library books for delivery to your home or preferred address.
Plan ahead! The turnaround time for print materials varies, depending on availability and owning library circumstances. Expect 1-2 business days for GW items, 3-4 business days for local Consortium partner library items, and 1-2 weeks for Interlibrary Loan (sometimes longer for rare or very popular titles). Home delivery adds shipping time to your location.
Borrowing Loan Periods and Renewing Books
Off-campus students share the same library borrowing and due date policies as their on-campus residential undergraduate or graduate peers.
Log into your Library Account to view and renew your currently checked-out items and to check the status of your requests in process.
Return Books to the GW Libraries
You are responsible for the prompt return of library books and media when items are due. There are no fines for late books, but you may be charged if a book is overdue more than 40 days. The GW Libraries welcome returns to our physical locations' service desks and book drops and returns by mail.
- Return items to the Gelman Library (Washington, DC)
- Return items to the Eckles Library (Washington, DC)
- Return items to the Virginia Science & Technology Campus Library (Ashburn, VA)
- Return items by mail - package items securely and use a trackable shipping method if possible.
Many GW courses and research projects require specialized software for coding, data analysis, GIS, and more. You might also need general productivity applications or programs for photo and media editing. Connect to software remotely, available to GW users for free.
Entrance to the Gelman, Eckles and VSTC Libraries is available only to GW students, faculty, and staff who have a GWorld Card enabled for physical access to campus buildings. Authorized individuals must bring their GWorld Card to tap in.
Getting to the Libraries
- Gelman Library (Foggy Bottom Campus, Washington, DC)
- Eckles Library (Mount Vernon Campus, Washington, DC)
- VSTC Library (Loudoun County; Ashburn, VA)
Entrance to the library buildings requires an active GWorld Card; the only exception is for Carry Out book pickup appointments. If you need to obtain a GWorld card as an online or distance student, or if you need to replace a lost/stolen card, visit the GWorld Card Office website for instructions.
View our current library entrance policy (subject to change in accordance with pandemic phased reopening plans).
Study Seat Reservations
Gelman and Eckles Libraries have a variety of individual and group study spaces throughout the buildings. Gelman also has reservable study rooms for small groups. The VSTC Library offers a small number of study rooms available on a first-come, first-served basis. Open seating is also available at each location without needing an appointment.
Library Wireless and Computers
Connect to GWireless onsite at any of our library locations.
Library computers enable full Web browsing and offer a variety of productivity and specialized software. Wireless printing is available at our onsite kiosks. You may wish to download the print driver specific to your mobile device prior to your library visit.
Get Help from Anywhere
Email: Questions will generally be answered in one business day.
Schedule a Consultation: Get help with a one-on-one meeting, either in person or virtually. You can book a consultation with the next available librarian, by academic subject area, by research tool, or with a specific librarian.
Call: (202) 994-6048