What is the Consortium Loan Service?
- The Consortium Loan Service (CLS) is a way to borrow hard copy books that are not available at your home library.
- You can request materials held at Washington Research Library Consortium (WRLC) libraries, GW campuses (Gelman, Eckles, and Virginia Science & Technology Campus Libraries), or from the WRLC off-site storage facility.
- Books can be delivered in a few days to Gelman, Eckles, or Virginia Science & Technology Campus for pick up. GW students, faculty, staff, and emeritus faculty outside of the DC area may also choose to have their books shipped to their homes.
- The service is available to eligible borrowers (current GW faculty, staff, and students registered for credit).
Placing a Consortium Loan Request
- Find the item you'd like to request in the catalog.
- Click the "Request physical copy from other library" link in the Availability section.
- Complete the form. In the "Pickup/Delivery" field, select the library where you would like to pick up your book: Gelman, Eckles, or VSTC Library. You will receive an email when the item arrives at the library with information about picking up in person either during scheduled desk hours or by appointment. Learn more about the book pick up process and see instructions for scheduling an appointment on the Book Retrieval and Contact-Free Pick Up webpage. GW community members who are in Online-Only or Distance Learning programs may select the Online-Only option to have library books shipped to them. Please enter the shipping address in the Comment field.
- You'll receive notifications at your GW email address when your requests are fulfilled.
- Delivery times are about one week if the book is available at Gelman Library or within the WRLC consortium. A minimum of two weeks if the book is not available at Gelman.
- Books may be renewed up to three times. Please return books to Gelman Library, 2130 H St. NW, Washington DC, 20052.
You are responsible for returning the book to Gelman by the due date at your expense. The due date and return address will be printed on a slip enclosed with the book. Remember: You can renew books up to three times online at My Library Account.
Loan Periods and Renewal Procedures for Books
- Check here for loan periods specific to your patron group, renewal limits, and fine and fee policies. All Consortium Loan items are subject to possible recall according to the lending library’s policies.
- Renewal requests must be on or before the due date. Only 3 online, email, or telephone renewals are available.
If you have questions about the Consortium Loan Service, please contact one of the following offices:
Gelman Library CLS Unit: (202) 994-1306 firstname.lastname@example.org
Virginia Science & Technology Campus Library: (571) 553-8230 email@example.com