Building access is available to GW students, faculty, and staff who have completed all of the steps outlined on GW's Onward website. No one will be allowed to sign in without a physical GWorld card or enter the library if their GWorld card tap is denied. Library access is not available for alumni or visitors. Masks are required inside all library buildings.
Consortium Loan Service
What is the Consortium Loan Service?
- The Consortium Loan Service (CLS) is a way to borrow hard copy books that are not available at your home library.
- You can request materials held at Washington Research Library Consortium (WRLC) libraries, GW campuses (Gelman, Eckles, and Virginia Science & Technology Campus Libraries), or from the WRLC off-site storage facility.
- Books can be delivered in a few days to Gelman, Eckles, or Virginia Science & Technology Campus for pick up. GW students, faculty, staff, and emeritus faculty outside of the DC area may also choose to have their books shipped to their homes.
- The service is available to eligible borrowers (current GW faculty, staff, and students registered for credit).
Placing a Consortium Loan Request for on-campus pick up or off-campus delivery
- Find the item you'd like to request in the catalog.
- Click the "Request physical copy from other library" link in the Availability section.
- Complete the form. In the "Pickup/Delivery" field, select "GW home delivery" to have the book mailed to you. Remember to add your full mailing address in the field below. You may also select to pick up your book at Gelman, Eckles, or VSTC libraries. If you select the pick up option, you will receive an email when the item arrives at the library with information about picking up in person either during scheduled desk hours or by appointment. Learn more about the book pick up process and see instructions for scheduling an appointment on the Book Retrieval and Contact-Free Pick Up webpage.
- You'll receive notifications at your GW email address when your requests are fulfilled.
- Delivery times are about one week if the book is available at Gelman Library or within the WRLC consortium. A minimum of two weeks if the book is not available at Gelman.
- Books may be renewed up to three times. Please return books to Gelman Library, 2130 H St. NW, Washington DC, 20052.
You are responsible for returning the book to Gelman by the due date at your expense. The due date and return address will be printed on a slip enclosed with the book. Remember: You can renew books up to three times online at My Library Account.
Loan Periods and Renewal Procedures for Books
- Check here for loan periods specific to your patron group, renewal limits, and fine and fee policies. All Consortium Loan items are subject to possible recall according to the lending library’s policies.
- Renewal requests must be on or before the due date. Only 3 online, email, or telephone renewals are available.
If you have questions about the Consortium Loan Service, please contact one of the following offices:
Gelman Library CLS Unit: (202) 994-1306 firstname.lastname@example.org
Virginia Science & Technology Campus Library: (571) 553-8230 email@example.com