Building access is available to GW students, faculty, and staff who have completed all of the steps outlined on GW's Onward website. No one will be allowed to sign in without a physical GWorld card or enter the library if their GWorld card tap is denied. Library access is not available for alumni or visitors. Masks are required inside all library buildings.
Gelman Events Scheduling & Policy
Gelman Library rooms are self-service and available for academic events only. Gelman is a library first and staff do not provide event support. GW students, faculty, and staff may reserve Gelman room 219 and 218a for academic events only. If you are looking for a room for a study group, please reserve a study room instead.
Attendees without a Valid GWorld Card
Entrance to Gelman Library is available to GW students, faculty, and staff by GWorld tap access. Event attendees without a GWorld that is valid for building entry may enter the building only if:
They are pre-registered at least 48 hours in advance of the start of the event
They present a driver's license or other government-issued ID at the entrance desk along with the name of the event they wish to attend at the entrance desk.
An event host/GW affiliate is there to escort the visitor at all times while inside the building. If guests arrive and we are unable to contact the GW affiliate designated to escort the guest, the guest will not be allowed in the building.
They wear a mask covering their name and mouth at all times while in the building.
*Guest names must be submitted by the event host at least 48 hours prior to the start of the event.
All visitors must complete the visitor access registration form no more than 72 hours prior to your intended visit.
- Tables and chairs are on wheels and you can set up the room anyway you would like. However, you must return the room to the original set up at the end of the event.
- Rooms are “bring your own device,” which means there is no in-room computer. To use the screen or camera, you will need to connect your own device. Instructions are displayed on the screen.
- Event rooms are equipped with support phones that will connect you directly to IT help. Most problems can be fixed remotely.
Photography and Filming
- Special events, conferences, seminars, etc., held in a contained space in a library building may be recorded or filmed for archival purposes only. Filming outside the space or filming anyone outside the space is not permitted unless prior permission has been granted.
- Read more about the Photography and Filming Policy.
Food & Drinks
- While the mask mandate is in effect, food is not allowed in Gelman Library.
- Drinks are allowed, but masks can only be removed for the time it takes to take one drink. Masks should not be removed for any significant amount of time.
- Rooms have small, office-sized trash cans. All food trash should be removed from the room to larger trash cans outside the room.
- Event rooms are adjacent to study areas and must contain any noise inside the room. If a group is too loud, they may be asked to quiet down and should do so immediately
- Rooms should be returned to their original state at the end of the event. Tables and chairs should be returned to their original places and all belongings removed.