Faculty Development Workshops
The Faculty Development team offers workshops throughout the calendar year focused on course design, teaching practices, and digital accessibility. An up-to-date schedule is available via the LAI Events calendar. Use the facets on the left side to filter for the topics you're most interested in.
- Course design: the welcoming syllabus; assignment and assessment ideas
- Course delivery: active learning and student engagement techniques for facilitating face-to-face, hybrid, and online courses; leading effective discussions; and providing effective feedback
- Assessment: assignment and test design; grading models (specifications grading, ungrading, etc.); giving effective feedback
- Inclusive teaching and building community
- Digital accessibility: making images, Word documents, PDFs, Blackboard, and other course materials usable and accessible to all
Instructional Technology Workshops
The Instructional Technology Lab (ITL) offers in-person and online workshops focused on Blackboard and other instructional technologies available at GW. Our workshops are designed for GW instructors, teaching assistants, and staff supporting instruction.
- Blackboard: covering everything from getting started, to engaging with students throughout the semester, to providing assignments, tests, and grading
- Creating online lectures: utilizing technologies such as Zoom and Echo360 to teach students in an online environment
- VoiceThread: getting setup within Blackboard and facilitating rich, asynchronous discussions around multimedia
Teaching with Creative Media Workshops
The Strategic Digital Learning Initiatives (SDLI) team offers in-depth workshops on enhancing teaching and learning methods through design thinking and creative technologies. Our workshops can support faculty who want to collaborate on ways to incorporate creative strategy and broad digital knowledge into their learning activities.
- Digital fluency: pedagogical and creative training to go from analog to digitally fluent
- Design thinking: opportunity to design online pedagogy with a design thinking methodology
- Idea space: a place and time to work as a teacher, creator, and experimenter
Interested in a more personalized workshop for your program or department? We offer tailored workshops and informal teaching conversations by request.
Email email@example.com to request a customized workshop.