Teaching Network for Early Career Faculty
Over the course of the 2019-2020 academic year, we will offer a cohort program, over lunch, specifically to support early-career faculty in their teaching.
Extensive feedback from faculty indicates that most successful instructors are not born teachers. Rather, they develop confidence and ease in their teaching with coaching and feedback from a supportive network. Exposure to the new science of learning and to lessons learned from the best college teachers give context to teaching tips and approaches. In turn, this provides a springboard for teaching improvement and satisfaction, and hopefully more fun, in the classroom.
Applications are now closed for the 2019 cohort.
What we will be doing
In the fall semester, we will meet four times as a group to discuss and practice pedagogical techniques. Some of the topics we'll address include:
- how to structure a class period
- increasing student motivation
- facilitating vibrant class discussions
- transparent assignment design
- collecting and evaluating feedback
- tips for effective and efficient grading
- creating and using rubrics
...as well as your questions and concerns!
In the spring, you will have repeated opportunities to give and receive feedback on your teaching. We will set up a process for classroom visits by your network peers and a senior faculty member so that you can give and receive specific feedback. Then, you will have the opportunity to apply what you learned and receive additional feedback. Visits will be scheduled around your availability and class schedule. We will celebrate the end of the year with a final luncheon.
What you will gain
- Year-long support for teaching
- A community of faculty peers from across GW
- A letter of completion for tenure and promotion packets, upon successful completion of all program aspects
- Automatic acceptance into the Course Design Institute in May
- A copy of Small Teaching: Everyday Lessons from the Science of Learning (2016) by James M. Lang
- Great conversation and socializing over lunch
When we will meet
We will meet as a group over lunch on six Fridays, 12-2p, in Gelman Library, Room B05.
- October 4
- October 25
- November 8
- December 6
- January 24
- TBD - late February or early March
Peer review networking – Schedule at your convenience during January-early March.
Who is eligible?
This program is offered free of charge to all GW faculty who considered themselves to be early career. Since concepts in this program will build on each other, it is very important to the peer review process that everyone to agree to attend all sessions. If you know already that you will need to miss a session, please let us know so that we can work things out. Please keep in mind, that the UTLC offers additional workshops and consultations if you are unable to commit to the network at this time
How do I apply?
Submit this application by September 30, 2019. Space is limited!
We hope you can join us!