Policies for Submitting Course Reserves
Print/On Shelf Reserve Policies [Services are suspended until the library buildings reopen.]
- A Reserve Request Form needs to be submitted with the details of each item. Please indicate if the item is a book or a photocopy and the desired loan period.
- Library books which are personally retrieved and submitted will be placed on reserve within 24 hours. If you request library staff to retrieve, please allow 1-3 business days.
- Books from Gelman, Eckles, and Virginia Science & Technology Campus Libraries may be placed on reserve; items borrowed from other libraries may not be placed on reserve.
- All personal copies will be assigned a call number and added to the online reserve database. (Please be advised that the library will affix a length of loan and call number sticker and security strips to your book.)
- If you would like to order a new book to placed on reserve, please keep in mind the ordering process time varies. Turnaround time can be between 1 week and 3 months. Therefore it is important to verify as soon as possible whether the GW Libraries own the book.
- A maximum of 2 copies will be placed on print reserves.
- Course packets may not be placed on reserve. Please visit the GW Bookstore’s website for information of making course packets available through them.
New Reserve Book Orders
- This form is to be used by faculty, research and teaching assistants, faculty's administrative department staff, librarians ordering books on behalf of faculty and all Reserve Unit staff placing rush reserve orders.
- Before you submit your request, please check the Catalog to make sure the book you are requesting is not already owned by Gelman, Eckles or the VSTC Library.
- All new reserve book orders should be submitted at least a month or more prior to the start of the semester. Once your request is received, it will be forwarded to the Acquisitions Department as a priority order.
- Fulfillment of your order may take from 1 week to 3 months before it is received for reserve processing. If you know that your book may be purchased at a local bookstore, please indicate that on the form.
- First, please search GW's electronic journals for links to articles to post to Blackboard accounts.
- For other items not available through electronic databases, please fill out the request form.
- Copies which are personally retrieved and submitted will be processed within 1-3 days. If you request library staff to make photocopies or scans, please allow 3-5 days.
- Please ensure that the library has been granted permission to add items to your courses on Blackboard. For instructions on how to do this, please click here.