Consortium Loan Service
Sharing and digitization of print materials is limited to a small number of libraries remaining staffed, including Gelman. Every effort will be made to obtain resources requested through the library catalog.
Sharing of print materials through consortium loan request has been suspended until further notice.
What is the Consortium Loan Service?
- The Consortium Loan Service (CLS) is a way to obtain books and articles that are not available at your home library.
- You can request materials held at Washington Research Library Consortium (WRLC) libraries, GW campuses (Gelman, Mount Vernon and Virginia Science & Technology Campus Libraries), or from the WRLC off-site storage facility.
- Books can be delivered in a few days to the Gelman, Eckles, or Virginia Science & Technology Campus circulation desks.
- The service is available to eligible borrowers (current GW faculty, staff, and students registered for credit).
- Articles can be scanned and delivered via email, usually in a day or two.
Placing a Consortium Loan Request
- Find the item you'd like to request in the catalog.
- Click the "Consortium Loan Service Request" link in the Availability section.
- Complete the form
- You'll receive notifications at your GW email address when your requests are fulfilled.
Consortium Loan for Off-campus Students
Off-campus students may place consortium loan requests by follow the directions above with the following adjustments:
- Select "For GW Off Campus Community Only" for pick-up location
- In the "Comments" box, please specify that you are an off-campus community member and include the street address to which you would like the item sent. Your materials will be shipped to you via FedEx Ground free of charge to the address you provide.
- If you would like your book(s) delivered to the Alexandria or Arlington Graduate Education Centers, then note that in the comments box instead of providing an address.
- Delivery times are about one week if the book is available at Gelman Library or within the WRLC consortium. A minimum of two weeks if the book is not available at Gelman.
- Books may be renewed up to three times. Please return books to Gelman Library, 2130 H St. NW, Washington DC, 20052. Or you may drop your books off at the Alexandria or Arlington Graduate Education Centers.
You are responsible for returning the book to Gelman by the due date at your expense. The due date and return address will be printed on a slip enclosed with the book. Remember: You can renew books up to three times online at My Library Account.
Articles will be sent to you in PDF format. You'll receive an e-mail with a link to My Library Account and will remain in your account for only two weeks. If an article cannot be delivered electronically, you'll receive a photocopy of the article for you to keep.
Form for GW Affiliates to Request Off-site Items
GW affiliates who are unable to sign in to the catalog may use this form to request GW items from off-site.
Loan Periods and Renewal Procedures for Books
- Check with the Circulation Desk for loan periods specific to your patron group, renewal limits, and fine and fee policies. All Consortium Loan items are subject to possible recall according to the lending library’s policies.
- Renewal requests must be on or before the due date. Only 3 online, email, or telephone renewals are available. After this, items must be brought to the Circulation Desk for further renewals.
- Borrowed materials may be returned to Gelman Library, Mt. Vernon Campus Eckles Library, Virginia Science & Technology Campus Library, or any other WRLC Library.
Contact the GW Consortium Loan Service Offices
If you have questions about the Consortium Loan Service, please contact the GW Libraries Consortium Loan Office at your home library.
Gelman Library CLS Staff Hours
Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
|Mt. Vernon Campus
|Virginia Sci. & Tech.