Consortium Loan Service
Limited consortium loan services are available! GW is lending materials to other schools and other schools are lending material to us via the courier, with the exceptions of Howard University and University of the District of Columbia (UDC).
What is the Consortium Loan Service?
- The Consortium Loan Service (CLS) is a way to obtain books and articles that are not available at your home library.
- You can request materials held at Washington Research Library Consortium (WRLC) libraries, GW campuses (Gelman and Virginia Science & Technology Campus Libraries), or from the WRLC off-site storage facility. (Howard university and University of the District of Columbia (UDC) have not yet resumed lending books)
- Books can be delivered in a few days to Gelman or Virginia Science & Technology Campus for pick up. GW students, faculty, staff, and emeritus faculty may also choose to have their books delivered to their homes. Services may take longer than usual in the 2020-21 academic year.)
- The service is available to eligible borrowers (current GW faculty, staff, and students registered for credit).
- Articles can be scanned and delivered via email, usually in a day or two.
Placing a Consortium Loan Request for on-campus pick up or off-campus delivery
- Find the item you'd like to request in the catalog.
- Click the "Consortium Loan Service Request" link in the Availability section.
- Complete the form. In the "Pickup/Delivery" field, select "GW home delivery" to have the book mailed to you. Remember to add your full mailing address in the field below. You may also select to pick up your book at Gelman or VSTC libraries. If you select the pick up option, you will receive an email when the item arrives at the library with a link to schedule a pick up appointment. Learn more about the book pick up process and see instructions for scheduling an appointment on the Book Retrieval and Contact-Free Pick Up webpage.
- You'll receive notifications at your GW email address when your requests are fulfilled.
- Delivery times are about one week if the book is available at Gelman Library or within the WRLC consortium. A minimum of two weeks if the book is not available at Gelman. (Delivery times may be slower during the 2020-21 academic year.)
- Books may be renewed up to three times. Please return books to Gelman Library, 2130 H St. NW, Washington DC, 20052.
You are responsible for returning the book to Gelman by the due date at your expense. The due date and return address will be printed on a slip enclosed with the book. Remember: You can renew books up to three times online at My Library Account.
Articles will be sent to you in PDF format. You'll receive an e-mail with a link to My Library Account and will remain in your account for only two weeks. If an article cannot be delivered electronically, you'll receive a photocopy of the article for you to keep.
Form for GW Affiliates to Request Off-site Items
GW affiliates who are unable to sign in to the catalog may use this form to request GW items from off-site.
Loan Periods and Renewal Procedures for Books
- Check with the Circulation Desk for loan periods specific to your patron group, renewal limits, and fine and fee policies. All Consortium Loan items are subject to possible recall according to the lending library’s policies.
- Renewal requests must be on or before the due date. Only 3 online, email, or telephone renewals are available.
Contact the GW Consortium Loan Service Offices
If you have questions about the Consortium Loan Service, please contact the GW Libraries Consortium Loan Office at your home library.
Gelman Library CLS Staff Hours
Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
|Virginia Sci. & Tech.