Affiliate Institutions (includes GW Law, GW Medical, and WRLC)
Requirement for Checking Out Books
- GW Law & Medical: Your GWorld card is your library card and is required to check out books.
- WRLC: You will need an ID card from your home university, validated for the current semester.
Types of Material That Can be Borrowed
- General GW Circulating Collection
- Materials at WRLC Storage facility
Determined by your home university library
- Undergraduate/Graduate/Nondegree Students: 42 days
- Faculty: Up to 4 months, utilizing 3 fixed due dates per year (January 31, May 31, and September 30).
- Staff: 42 days
If a book you have checked out is needed by another person, it may be recalled. All books are subject to recall at any time. You will be notified by e-mail and will have 28 days from the date of recall to return the book before recall fines are assessed. See details.
GW and WRLC books may be renewed at any time, and they will be assigned a new due date 42 days from the day you renew. Each book is limited to 3 renewals. All books may be renewed a variety of ways, including online, email, and phone. Click here for details.
If you reach the renewal limit of 3, you must bring the books in person to the Check Out Desk to return or renew; if you still need the books, we will start over the process for you, allowing up to 3 more automatic renewals.
Overdue Fines and Other Fees
$.25 per day per book up to $10 maximum. After 40 days, overdue items are considered lost and you will be charged $120 for each book. See details.
NOTE: Use My Library Account to manage and review your due dates, overdue notices, and available requests. Failure to receive notices does not excuse you from paying fines.
Other Library Privileges
GW Law, Medical and WRLC students, faculty, and staff are eligible for the following library services:
- Consortium Loan Service borrowing
- Direct borrowing at WRLC libraries
- GW Libraries Computers: Now Require a Login
- GW media resources (open media items).
GW Law, GW Medical, and WRLC students, faculty, and staff are not eligible for remote access to databases or Interlibrary Loan through Gelman Library. GW Law students and faculty may access these services through the Jacob Burns Law Library. GW Medical students and faculty may access these services through Himmelfarb Health Sciences Library. WRLC students, faculty,a nd staff should access services through their home university library.
WRLC Member and Affiliate Libraries
- American University Library
- University Libraries, Catholic University of America
- Gallaudet University Library
- University Libraries, George Mason University
- Lauenger and Blommer Libraries, Georgetown University
- The George Washington University Libraries
- Howard University Libraries
- Marymount University
- University of the District of Columbia