Requirement for Checking Out Books
GW Alumni must obtain an Alumni GWorld Card for building access. The fee is $10 and can be paid at the GWorld Card Office located in the Marvin Center. GW Alumni must also pay a $50 annual library borrowing fee, payable at the Check Out Desk. Alumni members who are auditing courses at GW are not required to pay the library fee if all they need is to access reserve materials. The fee is applicable, however, if a GW alumnus wants to be able to charge out books from the general circulating collection.
Types of Material That Can be Borrowed
- General GW Circulating Collection and Reserves
- GW Materials at WRLC Off-Site Storage Facility. Click here for request form.
Periodicals may be used in the library only.
No limit (GW items only).
28 days from day of check-out/renewal.
If a book you have checked out is needed by another person, it may be recalled. All books are subject to recall after they have been charged out for at least 14 days. You will be notified by e-mail or phone and will have 14 days from the date of recall to return the book before recall fines are assessed. See details.
GW books may be renewed at any time, and they will be assigned a new due date 28 days from the day you renew. Each book is limited to 3 renewals. All books may be renewed a variety of ways, including online, email, and phone. Click here for details.
If you reach the renewal limit of 3, you must bring the books in person to the Check Out Desk to return or renew; if you still need the books, we will start over the process for you, allowing up to 3 more automatic renewals.
Overdue Fines and Other Fees
$.25 per day per book up to $10 maximum. After 40 days, overdue items are considered lost and you will be charged $107 for each book. See details.
Other Library Privileges
- GW Alumni are eligible to access selected databases remotely through the Alumni Online Community/myGW Portal. Click here for details.
- GW Alumni may use media resources (in-library use only).
- GW Libraries Computers: Now Require a Login
- GW Alumni are NOT eligible for the following library services: