George Washington University Publications
The University Archives is the official repository for campus publications of George Washington University, Columbian College, Benjamin Franklin University, and Mount Vernon College and Seminary, including student publications.
Some of the oldest publications in the history of The George Washington University were created in 1821 with the inception of Columbian College, and we continue to collect publications created today, whether in print or electronic versions. Contact the university archives for more information about ensuring that your GW publication is maintained in the archives for future generations to explore.
The following publications are maintained in the special collections reading room. Additional publications may be found by searching or browsing the university archives finding aids.
GW University Bulletin, 1821-Present
The bulletins list not only courses offered and program requirements, but also tuition costs, lists of administrators and faculty, campus buildings, and until approximately 1960 contained the names and addresses of registered students. They are incomplete for pre-1865 issues. All online issues can be found at this link in the Internet Archive.
Benjamin Franklin University Bulletin, 1925-1987
Benjamin Franklin University is a school of accountancy that merged with GW in 1987.
The first Alumni Directory was compiled in 1891, and University Archives has various volumes dedicated to the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences, the Law and Medical Schools, Elliott School of International Relations, School of Business, School of Engineering, School of Education and Human Development, School of Engineering And Applied Science, and Mount Vernon Seminary and College. The 1917 volume is quite helpful for providing biographical sketches of graduates from 1824-1916.
These handbooks, which run from 1920-2002, include information on student clubs and activities, rules and regulations, and campus maps.
A partial index to the student newspapers is available online. This index includes all of Columbian Call, Weekly Columbian and George Washington News, but only covers the Hatchet from 1904-1930, part of 1931, and 1973-1983.
- GW Hatchet (1904-Present). Also on microfilm in the Microfilm Reading Room on the 3rd floor of the library for the years 1904-1988. Partially indexed.
- Columbian Weekly (1903-1904). Partially indexed.
- Columbian Call (1895-1898). Partially indexed.
- Alumni Review (1937-1963). Alumni magazine with news on events, alumni, faculty, sports, and campus developments. Partially indexed.
- GW Magazine (1964-1970; 1990-Present). Alumni magazine with news on events, alumni, faculty, sports, and campus developments. Partially indexed. Recent issues available online through Web Archives.
- By George (1989-Present). GW’s newspaper with news on events, alumni, faculty, sports, and campus developments. Partially indexed.
- The Cherry Tree (1908-Present). Contains photos and information on students, student organizations, sports, administration, and faculty. Earlier editions have class histories and student biographical information. Scanned versions are available through the Internet Archive.
- The Mall (1905-07). Some online copies.
- The C (1904). Some online copies.
- The Columbiad (1891-1904). Some online copies.
- The George Washington University Medical School Yearbook - "Speculum" (1948-1992). Has been published under various names. Himmelfarb Health Sciences Library has a full run of this publication. We have digital copies, but do not provide copies online due to privacy issues.
- The National University Law School - “Docket” (1912-42). Some online copies.
- Benjamin Franklin University - “Key” (1941-1977).