Planned Transfer of Library Collection from Corcoran
As part of the Corcoran College of Art + Design’s integration with the George Washington University, the collections of the Corcoran College Library will relocate to GW’s Gelman Library. The Corcoran collection will transfer as an art and design unit located on Gelman’s 1st floor. Rare or fragile works will be managed in the Special Collections Research Center on Gelman’s 7th floor where they can be maintained in a controlled environment to support their longer term preservation. The Corcoran art and design collection will be kept together on the 1st floor of Gelman rather than integrated with GW’s general collections. It will be accessible during normal Gelman Library hours.
The finalization of the agreement between Corcoran, GW and the National Galleries is dependent on the DC courts’ final approval. The timeline presented here assumes that the agreement will be implemented by August 15th, 2014. The timing of the actual approval may impact these projected dates.
- Transfer the Corcoran Library collection to GW’s Gelman Library.
- Relocate the entire Corcoran collection to the first floor of Gelman Library as an art & design unit.
- Minimize the time that the Corcoran collection is unavailable.
- Minimize the disruption to library patrons in both locations caused by the transfer.
June 27 Transition team formed.
July 2 Cease new loans of Corcoran library materials.
July 15 Close Corcoran Library to all users and due date for return of Corcoran Library items currently on loan to patrons.
July 15 – August 16
- Work with library moving company on logistics of the move.
- Bring records for Corcoran Library items into the GW Libraries catalog.
- Carefully prepare, pack, and label Corcoran library resources to facilitate ready access after moving.
- Update systems to enable Corcoran materials to circulate from GW Libraries.
- Prepare space at Gelman for Corcoran collection.
- Prepare orientation and communication materials to educate Corcoran faculty and students about the resources of GW Libraries.
August 16 – September 1
- Begin physical move of the Corcoran collection.
- Remove 40,000+ library items from current shelving units and load onto temporary shelving carts.
- Disassemble Corcoran shelving.
- Reassemble Corcoran shelving in its new location at Gelman Library.
- Transfer and shelve library materials in new location at Gelman.
- Corcoran Library materials will be available for use and circulation at Gelman Library.
- Physically process each item, including addition of barcodes & collection labels.