Although we are still accepting applications, a hiring freeze has paused hiring of this position until further notice.
The George Washington University Libraries & Academic Innovation (GWLAI) seeks nominations and applications for a Metadata Librarian to focus on providing access to continuing and electronic resources.
Primary job responsibilities
- Perform original and complex metadata creation and editing for electronic resources and continuing resources in all formats and languages, according to national and local standards(e.g. CONSER, BIBFRAME, Linked Open Data, etc.)
- Collaborate closely with others in Content Management, especially Serials and Electronic Resource Acquisitions, to ensure acquisitions are discoverable in a consortial Alma and Primo VE system
- Assume a leadership role in designing, implementing and conducting training, resource description, and data analysis for GWLAI projects where metadata is an essential component
- Utilize helper applications (e.g. MarcEdit) and emerging technologies to support workflows within Content Management.
- Maintain knowledge of developments in emerging technologies and practices to identify and improve efficiency to the electronic and continuing resource workflows within Content Management
- Apply knowledge of both MARC (e.g. AACR2, RDA) and non-MARC (e.g. DublinCore, MODS, VRA Core etc.) metadata schemas when collaborating with colleagues from across GWLAI on a variety of projects to enhance access and discovery of electronic and digital resources
- Communicate technical concepts effectively and inclusively to all, regardless of professional expertise of the audience
- Contribute to GWLAI’s participation in cooperative cataloging programs (e.g. CONSER, PCC, NACO)
- Supervise student workers and occasional project staff
- Contribute to the broader professional community by sharing knowledge in scholarly/professional venues and through service to the University and the profession
This position reports to the Director of Resource Description.
When applying for the Metadata Librarian for Continuing and Electronic Resources please highlight the experiences you have, including non-English language skills, that address the job responsibilities and demonstrate your ability to thrive in this position and within the broader GWLAI and university communities
The Metadata Librarian for Continuing and Electronic Resources position is part of an open recruiting call for multiple professional librarian/archivist positions. Please read the Multiple Librarian Positions posting to understand the varied, collaborative, and dynamic responsibilities undertaken by GWLAI librarians, the community we are building within GWLAI and across the campus, and the basic job qualifications for all positions.
The University and department have a strong commitment to achieving diversity among librarians and staff. We are particularly interested in receiving applications from members of underrepresented groups and strongly encourage women and persons of color to apply for these positions.
To be considered, please complete an online application and upload a CV and a cover letter that includes an assessment of skills related to basic qualifications. As part of your cover letter, please indicate for which position or positions you would like to be considered. Review of applications will begin on December 16, 2019 and will continue until the positions are filled. Only complete applications will be considered. Employment offers are contingent upon the satisfactory outcome of a reference check and standard background screening.