University formatting guidelines apply to the font type and size, page margins, page numbering, page order and line spacing for the entire document and to the content and formatting of the front pages.
ETD Style Guides for the front pages are available by school or college on our ETD website. For the body of your document, use the style guide most appropriate for your field of study or specified in the graduate school handbook or by your dissertation advisor.
Basic formatting information for your thesis or dissertation follows. You may download our complete guide below. Formatting assistance is available on the ETD website for MS Word and LaTeX or from the database LinkedIn Learning.
School of Law students: The School of Law follows different formatting guidelines. Please see the School of Law Guidelines for Completing LLM Thesis for complete information on formatting guidelines and requirements.
Times New Roman 12 pt
- MS Word
- Text: Times New Roman 12 pt
- Footnotes/Labels for Tables or Figures: no smaller than 8 pt
Order of Pages
- Front pages: small, Roman numerals, centered .75 inch (set footer at 0.50”) from the bottom edge of the page. The title page is counted as page i, but the page number is not displayed.
- Body of the manuscript: Arabic numerals, centered .75 inch (set footer at 0.50”) at the bottom of the page. The first page of the Introduction is numbered as page 1 and is displayed.
Portrait: 1.25 inches for left & right margins; 1.00 inch for top & bottom margins
Landscape: 1.00 inch left & right margins; 1.25 inches for top & bottom margins
For School of Law: 1.50 inches left margin; 1 inch right, top & bottom margins
See School of Law formatting guidelines for more information.
Figures, Tables and Images
- Use of color in photos, figures, tables, charts and images is allowed.
- Page margins for individual figures, tables and images may be modified to 1 inch for right, left, top and bottom page margins.
- For large figures, tables and images, consider the following options (see MS Word Help):
- Change the page orientation to landscape
- Change the page size to 8.5 x 14 inches (legal size)
Double space, except:
- where specified in the front pages (see your school specific information)
- footnotes and endnotes
- long quotes
- captions for figures, tables and images
- within individual bibliographic entries
- Any file format can be used in supplemental files
- University formatting rules do not apply to supplemental files
- Material in supplemental files will be provided on a CD-ROM in a pocket insert at the back of the print copy. The content is presented exactly as it is uploaded to the ETD Administrator site.