University Formatting Requirements
University formatting guidelines govern the page margins, page numbering, line spacing, the page order and the formatting for the front matter. For the body of the manuscript, please follow the style guide that is most appropriate for your field of study or specified in the graduate school handbook or by your dissertation advisor. Please note, the School of Law uses alternative formatting guidelines. Please see the School of Law tab for formatting requirements.
Basic formatting information for your thesis or dissertation can be found below. Please click on the link for a complete guide to University Formatting Requirements.
Model pages or Style Guides for the front pages can be found by clicking on the tab for your school or college.
Fonts: Times New Roman 12 pt
MS Word: Text: Times New Roman 12 pt
Footnotes/Labels for Tables or Figures: no smaller than 8 pt.
Order of pages
- Front pages: small, roman numerals, centered .75 inches (set footer at 0.50") from the bottom edge of the page. The title page is counted as page i, but the page number is not displayed.
- Body of Manuscript: Arabic numerals, centered .75 inches (set footer at 0.50") at the bottom of the page.
The first page of the Introduction is numbered as page 1 and is displayed.
Portrait: 1.25 inches for left & right margins; 1.00 inch for top & bottom margins
Landscape: 1.00 inch left & right margins; 1.25 inches for top & bottom margins
School of Law
Left page margin: 1.50 inches
Right, Top & Bottom page margins: 1 inch
See School of Law tab on the left-hand navigation bar for more information.
Figures, Tables, and Images:
- Use of Color: Use of color in the photos, figures, tables, charts, and images is allowed.
- Page Margins for individual figures, tables and images may be modified to 1 inch for right, left, top and bottom page margins
- For large figures, tables, and images, consider the following options (see MS Word Help):
i. Change the page orientation to landscape
ii. Change the page size to 8.5 x 14 (legal size)
Line Spacing: Double spacing, except:
- where specified in the front pages (see school specific tabs for more information)
- footnotes and endnotes
- long quotes
- captions for figures, tables and images
- within individual bibliographic entries
- Any file format can be used in supplementary files
- University formatting rules to not apply to supplemental files
- Material in supplementary files are provided on CD-Rom in a pocket insert of the back of the print copy. The content is presented exactly as it is uploaded to the ETD Administrator site.