University Formatting Requirements
University formatting guidelines govern the page margins, page numbering, line spacing, the page order and the formatting for the front matter. For the body of the manuscript, please follow the style guide that is most appropriate for your field of study or specified in the graduate school handbook or by your dissertation advisor. Please note, the School of Law uses alternative formatting guidelines.
Basic formatting information for your thesis or dissertation can be found below. Please click on the link for a complete guide to University Formatting Requirements.
Model title page
Model Certification page (required for dissertation and praxis)
Fonts: Text: true type fonts 11-12 pt size
Footnotes/Labels for Tables or Figures: no smaller than 8 pt.
Word: Georgia 11 pt.
Times New Roman 12 pt
Order of pages
- Front pages: small, roman numerals, centered .75-1 inch from the bottom edge of the page.
The title page is counted as page i, but the page number is not displayed.
- Body of Manuscript: Arabic numerals, centered at the bottom of the page.
The first page of the Introduction is numbered as page 1 and is displayed
- Portrait: 1.25 inches for left & right margins; 1.00 inch for top & bottom margins
- Landscape: 1.00 inch left & right margins; 1.25 inches for top & bottom margins
Figures, Tables, and Images:
- Page Margins for figures, tables and images may be modified to 1 inch for right, left, top and bottom page margins
- For large figures, tables, and images, consider the following options:
i. Change the page orientation to landscape
ii. Change the page size to 8.5 x 14 (legal size) (see MS Word Help)
Line Spacing: Double spacing, except:
- where specified in the front pages
- footnotes and endnotes
- long quotes
- captions for figures, tables and images
- within individual bibliographic entries
Use of Color: Use of color in the figures, tables and images is allowed.
- Any file format can be used in supplementary files
- University formatting rules to not apply to supplemental files
- Material in supplementary files are provided on CD-Rom in a pocket insert of the print copy as they are uploaded in the ETD Administrator site.