University Formatting Requirements
University formatting guidelines govern the page margins, page numbering, line spacing, the page order and the formatting for the front matter. For the body of the manuscript, please follow the style guide that is most appropriate for your field of study or specified in the graduate school handbook or by your dissertation advisor. Please note, the School of Law uses alternative formatting guidelines. Please see the School of Law Formatting Requirements for more information.
Basic formatting information for your thesis or dissertation can be found below. Please click on the link for a complete guide to University Formatting Requirements.
Model pages or Style Guides for the front pages can be found by clicking on the tab for your school or college.
Fonts: Text: Times New Roman 12 pt
Footnotes/Labels for Tables or Figures: no smaller than 8 pt.
Word: Times New Roman 12 pt
Order of pages
- Front pages: small, roman numerals, centered .75 inches (set footer at 0.50") from the bottom edge of the page.
The title page is counted as page i, but the page number is not displayed.
- Body of Manuscript: Arabic numerals, centered .75 inches (set footer at 0.50") at the bottom of the page.
The first page of the Introduction is numbered as page 1 and is displayed
Portrait: 1.25 inches for left & right margins; 1.00 inch for top & bottom margins
Landscape: 1.00 inch left & right margins; 1.25 inches for top & bottom margins
School of Law
Left page margin: 1.50 inches; Left,Top & Bottom page margins: 1 inch
See School of Law tab on the left-hand navigation bar for more information
Figures, Tables, and Images:
- Page Margins for figures, tables and images may be modified to 1 inch for right, left, top and bottom page margins
- For large figures, tables, and images, consider the following options:
i. Change the page orientation to landscape
ii. Change the page size to 8.5 x 14 (legal size) (see MS Word Help)
Line Spacing: Double spacing, except:
- where specified in the front pages
- footnotes and endnotes
- long quotes
- captions for figures, tables and images
- within individual bibliographic entries
Use of Color: Use of color in the figures, tables and images is allowed.
- Any file format can be used in supplementary files
- University formatting rules to not apply to supplemental files
- Material in supplementary files are provided on CD-Rom in a pocket insert of the print copy as they are uploaded in the ETD Administrator site.