Library Services at Eckles Library
Eckles Library adheres to the GW University Library system's Borrowing Privileges and Loan Policies. If you still have questions after visiting that page, please call 202-242-6620 or stop by the service desk at Eckles Library.
Students can visit the Course Reserves page to find information about accessing course reserves and about loan periods and fees.
Faculty can use the Reserve Request form to place materials on reserve for the upcoming academic semester. Additional reserves information about renewing materials from past semesters, requesting new materials for reserves classes, and copyright concerns is available under the faculty header on the Course Reserves page.
Eckles' public photocopier is located on the first floor in the open seating area. Copies cost 10 cents per page, payable in cash at our service desk. The copier currently does not accept GWorld or courtesy cards.
Faculty who wish to schedule a library instruction session on the Mount Vernon Campus may complete a Library Instruction Request Form. Please allow at least 2 weeks in advance of your session and specify your preference for the Mount Vernon Campus.
Further details about library instruction at GW, including instruction policies and scheduling sessions at Foggy Bottom, are located on the Library Instruction page.
Eckles holds a print collection of over 60,000 volumes, with strengths in political science, women's history and contemporary issues, interior architecture and design, forensic sciences, history, and literature.
If you are interested in requesting that a book be added to the collection, please contact our collection development librarian David Killian.
Faculty members are also encouraged to meet with David to discuss their curricular needs vis-à-vis the library collection.
GW's wireless networks are available throughout the Mount Vernon Campus, including all spaces within Eckles Library. Wireless is available in Eckles according to the same guidelines as Gelman Library on Foggy Bottom, and here is additional information about using wireless in the GW libraries.
Eckles provides a small number of computers for public use on the first and second floors. All library computers require a login:
Use your netID and password or claim it if you haven’t yet, if you are:
- GW Students (including Medical and Law School)
- GW Faculty or Staff
- GW Alumni: Claim your NetID at http://alumni.gwu.edu/alumni-login
NOTE: Can’t remember your password? Change it! Changing your password may lock you out of the GW System, including email, for 30 minutes or more.
Guest Accounts are available for visitors, including our partners in WRLC, ARL, and Friends of the Library
- Create a Guest Account.
- Write down your password and username. (Library staff cannot retrieve or change these, so it's important to note them.)
- Bring a Valid Photo ID to the Eckles service desk so we can activate your account.
GW Academic Technologies Labs
There are 2 computer labs located in Eckles designated for the exclusive use of GW faculty and students. These labs require the use of a NetID account and are equipped with Microsoft Office and other productivity software. Additional information about the labs is available on the Academic Technologies page.
- The 1st Floor Lab (room #142) is located near the back of the first floor. It seats 20 students and has an instructor station with accompanying ceiling-mounted LCD projector. Computers in this lab are available for use at all times unless the space is occupied by classes. Print jobs from computers in the lab are sent to the Colonial Printing kiosks, and two kiosks are located in the Eckles 24-hour lab.
- The 24-Hour Lab is located in the front hallway of the building and is always open during academic semesters. There are eight workstations, study seating, and 24-hour printing capabilities via Colonial Printing.