Creating and Managing Sidebars
In Drupal,sidebars and other regions are referred to as blocks. To edit a block that appears on a page, hover over the top right of the content until the “gear" symbol icon and click it.
To see a full list of blocks or create a new block, click Structure in the top admin bar and then click on Blocks. Note that not all content editors have access to this feature.
Controlling Placement on a Page
On the block edit page, find the section on Region Settings and in the pulldown menu under "GW Libraries (libsite7b) (default theme)" choose Sidebar (for the left sidebar) or Sidebar Right.
Controlling Which Pages a Sidebar Appears On
Near the bottom of the block edit page there is a section for Pages under Visibility settings.
Restricting by Content Type: Make sure your block is restricted to your section. You can do this by checking your content type in the Content Types section under Visibility settings.
Warning: If you do not have the block restricted by content type, it is possible that your block will appear on every page on the website. Please be careful when editing these settings.
More often, you will want to have a sidebar appear only on certain pages in your section and not on others. Under Visibility settings there is a section for Pages. There are three options:
- All pages except those listed: the block will appear on all pages (or all pages of the selected content type(s)) except the ones listed below the radio buttons)
- Only the listed pages: the block will only appear on the pages listed below the radio buttons
- Pages on which this PHP code returns TRUE: this option should not be used
- Enter one URL path per line
- Add everything after the ".edu/". E.g. a page with a path of library.gwu.edu/eckles/about would be entered as "eckles/about"
- Do not use a starting or trailing slash
- The '*' character (asterisk) is a wildcard (e.g. "eckles/work-study/*" would allow the block to appear on every page with a path beginning "eckles/work-study/"