Requirement for Checking Out Books
When you join the Friends of the Libraries at the Sponsor level or above, you will be issued a GWorld card from Marvin Center, Room 501. Your GWorld card is your library card and is required to check out books.
After you get your GWorld card, stop by the Check Out desk to make sure your library record is active and has your current address, telephone number, and email address. Without the correct email and telephone information, you may not receive notification from the library that you have items that are available to pick-up, recalled by another library user, or overdue.
Types of Material That Can be Borrowed
- General GW Circulating Collection and Reserves
- GW materials at WRLC off-site Storage Facility. Click here for request form.
Determined by your level of membership in the Friends of the Libraries:
- Sponsors: 10 books
- Patrons: 20 books
- Benefactors: unlimited
- Librarian's Circle: unlimited
28 days from day of check-out/renewal.
If a book you have checked out is needed by another person, it may be recalled. All books are subject to recall after they have been charged out for at least 14 days. You will be notified by e-mail or phone and will have 14 days from the date of recall to return the book before recall fines are assessed. See details.
GW and WRLC books may be renewed at any time, and they will be assigned a new due date 28 days from the day you renew. Each book is limited to 3 renewals. All books may be renewed a variety of ways, including online, email, and phone. Click here for details.
If you reach the renewal limit of 3, you must bring the books in person to the Check Out Desk to return or renew; if you still need the books, we will start over the process for you, allowing up to 3 more automatic renewals.
Overdue Fines and Other Fees
$.25 per day per bookup to $10 maximum. After 40 days, overdue items are considered lost and you will be charged $107 for each book. See details.
NOTE: Use My Library Account to maintain your preferred email address to ensure that you receive notifications of due dates, overdue notices, available requests, and other library emails. Failure to receive notices does not excuse you from paying fines.
Other Library Privileges
- Regardless of level, Friends of the Library may use GW media resources (in-library only).
- Friends at the Benefactor level may borrow up to 5 items per year through the Consortium Loan Service or Interlibrary Loan. Librarian's Circle members may use these services to borrow up to 10 items per year.
- Friends are not eligible for remote access to article databases.
- Friends of the Libraries cards are non-transferable.
- GW Libraries Computers: Now Require a Login
For more information, please contact Tracy Sullivan, Associate Director of Development, at 202-994-8928.