3D Printing: Policies
Procedures for 3-D Printing at Gelman
- GW students and faculty wishing to have an object printed should start by submitting their file online. Please make sure to submit a file in the formats and sizes listed below.
- Once a file is submitted, the patron will receive an email confirming the submission and requesting more information about the file or desired printing.
- After all requested follow up information is recevied, the model will be added to the printing queue.
- Requests are printed in the order received.
- The files will be readied for printing in Cura Lulzbot Edition software. Gelman Library staff will view all files in Cura Lulzbot Edition.
- Please allow at least 5-7 business days (weekdays) for the object to be printed. More time will be needed if file problems are discovered or for extremely complex projects. Please note that 3-D printing jobs general take between 2-5 hours to complete.
- Patrons will receive an email when their print job is complete, including a final price based on the weight of the printed object.
- The finished object can be picked up and paid for with cash, GWorld, or credit card at the Check Out Desk any time the desk is open.
The cost for 3-D prints is 5 cents per gram. Prints are weighed after being printed. This figure includes rafts and supports. Patrons will not be charged for mis-prints due to printer error. Patrons will be charged for mis-prints caused by problems within the file they submit.
Turnaround time can vary depending on the complexity of the model and the number of jobs waiting to be printed. In general, we try to turn the jobs around within 5-7 business days. Requests will be printed in the order received.
The following file formats are accepted for 3-D printing:
All files will be readied for printing in Cura Lulzbot Edition software. Gelman Library staff will view all files in Cura Lulzbot Edition. Running the files through the Cura software gives the object its resolution (LOW, STANDARD, HIGH) and the option to include rafts and supports. The filament used for the rafts and supports will be included in the final weight of the object and therefore, the cost.
You can choose to have an object printed in any 1 of the following colors:
- Light tan (called "natural")
Payment and Pick Up of Printed Object
Patrons will receive an email when their print job is complete, including a final price based on the weight of the printed object. The finished object can be picked up and paid for with cash, GWorld, or credit card at the Check Out Desk any time the desk is open.
The 3d printers may not be used in a way that violates GWU's firearms and weapons policy.